Fire Safety

Candles (with or without a wick), hot plate candle/wax warmers, halogen lamps, incense, and any items with open flames or open elements (such as toasters, pizza wheels, toaster ovens) are not allowed.  Extension cords must be surge-protected and Underwriters Laboratory (UL) approved.  Electric cords may not run under carpets or through doorways.  Personal charcoal or gas grills are not allowed on campus. 

All persons must evacuate the building when a fire alarm sounds.  All persons may face disciplinary action if they fail to: evacuate; cause false alarms; interfere with the proper functioning of a fire alarm system; tamper with or remove fire hoses, extinguishers, smoke or heat detectors, or fire safety apparatus; disable room, pod, or house smoke detectors or alarms; or fail to inform the staff when a smoke detector or alarm is malfunctioning.

Individuals should not be in violation of state, local, or campus fire policies, including:

  • Improper use of fire alarms, fire equipment and sprinkler systems;
  • Failure to evacuate a college-owned building during a fire alarm;
  • Tampering with or improperly engaging a fire alarm in a college building;
  • Use or possession of firecrackers, fireworks or incendiary devices on campus;
  • Tampering with smoke detectors;
  • Possession of a live or previously living Christmas tree in any housing unit;
  • Unapproved decorations in a hallway;
  • Possession of a halogen lamp in any housing unit;
  • Possession of candles or incense in any housing unit.  A candle refers to any wax or oil, with or without wicks and either burnt or un-burnt. Candles still in their original packaging are also not allowed in campus housing; confiscated candles will not be returned to the student.  Hot plate wax warmers are also not allowed in college housing.
  • Possession of any appliance with an exposed heating coil (hot plates, etc.) in any housing unit.