Worker’s Compensation–Accident Or Injury Reporting

Central College’s worker’s compensation program is managed by the Office of Human Resources. If an employee, including faculty, suffers an injury, even a slight one, he/she must report it to his/her supervisor (the VPAA/Dean in the case of faculty) or the Office of Human Resources immediately. This reporting requirement applies to every known or suspected workplace injury, illness, or health condition of any kind, regardless of whether it occurs at a single point in time or by work duties over time, and regardless of whether you miss time from work because of the condition.  Failure to report a known or suspected workplace injury, illness or health problem can result in disciplinary action up to and including termination. If a supervisor receives notice of a work place injury, he/she is required to report it to the Office of Human Resources immediately.


This notification should be made before the employee sees a medical provider, unless the employee is in need of emergency medical treatment, in which case the employee should seek treatment at Pella Regional emergency or urgent care and follow up with the necessary paper work in the human resource office the first business day after treatment.  Medical emergency is defined as sudden and acute onset of a medical condition of sufficient severity that the absence of immediate medical attention could reasonably result in permanently placing your health in jeopardy, causing serious impairment to bodily functions, or causing serious and permanent dysfunction of any bodily organ or part.  Iowa law permits the employer to select the physician for work related injuries/illness.  Therefore, if you go to a physician that is not pre-approved or authorized by Central College, you may be responsible for the charges. If there is a question as to whether your need for medical treatment is due to a work related injury or illness, Central College may send you to a medical provider selected by the college to investigate your claim. Central College will be responsible for the charges for any authorized care during an investigation.